Food and Nutrition
Senior Center Dining Program (Congregate Meals Program)
The K/T AAA provides nutritious meals for seniors at sites that are easily accessible, such as senior/community centers, where the opportunity to socialize with peers is as important a part of the program as the meal itself. Special programs, classes, games, or time to just chat are available at the nutrition sites in addition to the nutritious meals. Congregate meals are served five days a week at most senior centers in Tulare and Kings Counties.
- Nutrition: meals must meet specific nutritional requirements.
- Socialization: provides an opportunity for seniors to "congregate," or come together, to socialize while enjoying a nutritious meal.
- Education: a registered dietician regularly offers free nutrition education and counseling.
- Other benefits: helps alleviate loneliness, great for socialization, helps participants stay on a budget.
- Persons 60 years of age or older
- Spouses of any age accompanying an eligible senior
- Persons with disabilities living with and accompanied by an eligible participant
A donation of $2.50 per meal is requested but not required. All contributions are made anonymously. Non-eligible individuals who are the guests of eligible persons may be permitted to purchase a meal for a fixed price, with a prior reservation.
Home-Delivered Meals Program
The Home-Delivered Meals Program offers temporary or long-term service to those 60 years and older and their spouses regardless of age, who, due to chronic illness or recent hospitalization, cannot prepare nutritious meals for themselves and do not have friends, relatives, or paid help to provide assistance. This program helps homebound individuals maintain adequate nutrition. A ten-day supply of frozen meals are delivered evey other week to frail, homebound elderly who are unable to attend the congregate meal sites. A Registered Dietitian consults with the nutrition program and is available for individual consultations with clientele. As with the congregate meal program, there is no charge for home-delivered meals, but a donation of $2.00 per meal is suggested. Donations are anonymous, and no eligible senior will be refused a meal due to inability to donate.
For additional information about the K/T AAA Nutrition Program, please call 1-800-321-2462, or e-mail us your questions at the following address: email@example.com.